Wednesday 13 July 2011

Interview of the Month - July

The English Tea Party has a cuppa with Carrie Ryan from La Belle Epoque Jewels...

I was very excited to be doing this interview…it involved diamonds and gorgeous jewellery, so I knew I was on to a winner from the start. Our location was LaDuree at The Dubai Mall, a firm favourite of The English Tea Party, so much so I feel it very much a second office!  I met with Carrie who oozes the style and glamour of the 1950’s…she was dressed in a stunning pencil skirt teamed with black platform patents and a gorge snakeskin 40’s handbag and accessorised with jewellery to die for. Macaroons and Café Crème were ordered, girly chit chat had, swooning at the jewellery she brought to show me finished, it was time to chat with Dubai’s Antique and Fine jewellery expert and owner of La Belle ÉpoqueJewels.
Carrie and Victoria at LaDuree

Carrie your jewellery is beautiful – tell me how did you start La Belle Époque Jewels?
My love for antiques originally came about while working in Brisbane for an antique dealership selling everything from architectural pieces and furniture from French Chateau’s, recycled and reclaimed timbers, through to fine antique jewellery. It was when the company begun sourcing the estate jewellery that I realised I could combine my love of all things old with all things jewellery. I began collecting myself but did not take leap of faith to start La Belle Époque Jewels until late last year. Arriving in Dubai two years earlier, I was disappointed by the variety of jewellery and the carbon copies available from one store to another. I had already completed my studies to become a Graduate Gemmologist (G.G.) with I.G.I. in Dubai (International Gemmology Institute) and then I went on and did further qualifications with the GIA  to certify as an Accredited Jewellery Professional (A.J.P). When I couldn’t find a suitable placement within an existing enterprise here I suppose it just felt like the right time to venture out on my own.

A collection of some stunning pieces...1960's French Opal with 1ct diamonds. 1940's pearl and diamond ring. 1880 Victorian Cameo brooch. Dimaond hummingbird brooch.

How and where do you source the jewellery?
I love to travel and I am always on the lookout for new pieces to add to the collection. My current collection has been mainly sourced from South America and France. I also work with an established network of international dealers who keep me informed on new finds and can assist me with helping a client with specific requirements find their very own slice of history.
These were truly stunning and rather weighty too...10ct dimaond ear pendants

Are there particular pieces, styles or qualities you look for when sourcing?
My collection is a wonderful example of fine jewellery from many era’s, so from the Edwardian and Art Deco through to Victoriana and retro. Obviously condition and quality is paramount along with the actual style and era of each piece. I am immediately drawn to anything Edwardian (also known as the Garland style) and Art Deco. For me, the craftsmanship that went into creating the intricacies of these pieces makes them all the more special. However, I constantly reminding myself that my clientele have different tastes than I do. So I do spend a lot of time ensuring I have a vast variety of styles, ages, and also price points to be able to offer something to everybody. My current must have is anything depicting snakes – I had two very different but equally amazing pieces (one from the 1880’s and one from the 1940’s) that created a lot of interest among my clientele.
1920's Art Deco Ruby and Diamond pendant on original Plat, chain

Who would be your typical client?
I have core base of some fantastic clients who I arrange private viewing sessions with from all nationalities. I have some wonderful Emirati ladies who like to create their own private collection in which they know are one offs and who are enjoying the new concept of Vintage here in the Middle East. Then of course I have a good network of British, South African and Australian ladies who are more familiar with the concept and who are looking for something different that you can’t buy elsewhere in the UAE.
1960's Cabachon Star Sapphire Diamond Ring

Are there certain pieces in the current collection that are popular?
Yes – anything big and blingy! The 1940’s pieces I have in the collection seem to be proving very popular as they certainly make a statement!  Also pieces depicting animal imagery such as snakes and panthers, which nods to the trend, set by Cartier with their famous animal collections.
Circa 1880 gold enamel and diamond cuff along with other stunning pieces from the collection

As a huge ambassador of ‘vintage’ and ‘antique’ style, what tips can you give on looking and bagging that ‘special’ find’?
Using a trusted source and doing your research are really important to make sure your purchase is genuine. I have seen so many reproductions across the globe across all genres of items, so when making big purchases it’s really important to get a certificate of authentication.
This really was my favourite piece and has my name all over it - a simply elegant diamond daisy ring...Love!

A day in the life of... Carrie

What’s it like?
I like to try and do some exercise in the mornings normally a run (in the cooler months), then its breakfast and emails along with keeping on top of social media which is very popular in the UAE and has been a great tool for me to reach out and create awareness of my brand. Each day is different as I arrange private viewings of the collections with my clients which can last from 30 minutes up to two hours. I also speak with my suppliers on a regular basis and check the market trends. In the evenings I attend social events – there seem to be a lot here in Dubai! When not out for work I love catching up for dinner with my girlfriends – I love to try new places, with an abundance of amazing eateries across the city why not try them all?


What’s on your ipod at the moment?
(Carrie laughs)…well my music style is very eclectic and somewhat random! I like Sia an Aussie artist a lot at the moment as well as Adele. I have a soft spot for some of the golden oldies like ELO, Supertramp and you can never go past some Credence Clearwater… but am very happy trying to sing along to anything ridiculously ‘poppy’ on the radio.


                                      What’s your own jewellery style?
Understated elegance, less is more! I love the dangly art deco diamond, sapphire and micro pearl earrings I am wearing today.


Your top fave vintage purchases?
My Tiffany jewellery box I bought last year which is circa 1905
My croc handbag from the 1960’s which I got on a recent trip to the UK
My Rayne shoes from Reem’s Closet -  apparently they are the brand which makes shoes for the Queen!
My 1920’s art deco daisy diamond ring.


Fave vintage haunt?
I love vintage shopping in Europe – they always have such great markets and little unexpected shops, I especially love Italy and France.



Carrie has the most beautiful website www.labelleepoquejewels.com and you can also follow her on facebook and twitter....so you can stay up to date with her amazing antique, vintage and retro finds. You can also contact her to arrange a private viewing or even a girls night in drinking tea and admiring the fine jewellery collection on t +971509276400 or at carrie@labelleepoquejewels.com

I hope that I have dropped enough hints to my husband during this write up that I should soon be sporting a very amazing antique diamond ring....well here's to hoping!! xx



No comments: